Odd Fellow Hall

From Lane Co Oregon

The earliest fraternal building erected in Springfield was the first Odd Fellow Hall built in 1881. It is known to have been a wooden building large enough to house the lodge rooms, city fire department and city council chambers. This building was replaced in the early 20th century with a masonry building built in a restrained version of the American Renaissance, popular in Oregon between 1890 and 1915. It was owned by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

The commercial block at the corner of Fourth and Main Streets has been the home of the Odd Fellows since its construction in 1907. The two-story building is stucco faded brick with classical detailing. The first floor facade is divided by three pillars with block capitals and bases and includes two recessed entrances and large picture windows. A flat wooden canopy now located above the windows shelters the sidewalk. Above the canopy, a molded wooden cornice separates the first and second floors, with four windows dominating the second story. The windows have simple bases and large rusticated flat arches applied to the tops; rusticated quoins are at the corners. A large molded wooden cornice projecting bout three feet from the wall graces the top of the building. Beneath that are long, flat modillion blocks. The building is topped with a false pediment with 1907 on the front.

Personal tools