Springfield News

From Lane Co Oregon

[edit] 1890s

John Kelly began publishing a newspaper called the Nonpareil in 1896. Two years later he sold the paper to J.G. Woods, who changed the name of the publication to the Springfield News. Although ownership changed over the ensuing years, the News is still the principal newspaper in the Springfield area (Graham 1978f).

[edit] 1950s

The Springfield News was the community’s primary newspaper, continuing its weekly format until it changed to a twice-a-week format in 1953. H.E. Maxey, the editor and publisher of the paper since 1923 sold the paper in 1954 to a group of men from Coos Bay (Springfield News 1953, 1954).

Personal tools