Millican, George

From Lane Co Oregon

GEORGE MILLICAN. The subject of the sketch, a view of whose farm and residence finds a place in this work, was born in Otsego county, New York, November 22, 1833, but when quite young he was taken by his father to South Hanover, Jefferson county, Indiana, and there was educated. In the year 1854, he crossed the plains to California, assisting to drive a band of cattle to the Sacramento valley. After a short stay in Marysville, he removed to Siskiyou county, and engaged in mining operations until 1860. We next find Mr. Millican mining in Idaho, where he arrived in the fall of 1861. Leaving that Territory for San Francisco, July 1, 1862, by overland route, on the way he purchased the land on which he now resides, returning to the claim in the fall. In 1868, he established a cattle ranch at Prineville, it being the first in that locality, and moved to it in 1870, returning to his old home on the McKenzie River, after two years residence there. In 1880 he removed to Salem and embarked in the butcher business, but, May 20, 1884, sold out and returned to the McKenzie, his home being located sixteen miles east of Eugene City, where he owns two hundred and eight acres of valuable land, besides two hundred and twenty acres more on which he pastures his herds, at Prineville. Married, firstly, Susan S. Ritchey, and has three children, viz: Madella, Maggie and Walter; and secondly, Ada C. Bradley.

"Illustrated History of Lane County, Oregon." Portland, Oregon: A. G. Walling, publisher, 1884. pg. 491.

Personal tools