McMurry, Fielding

From Lane Co Oregon

No history of the Masonic Cemetery could go without mention of Fielding McMurry (1815-1860). In 1859, he sold ten acres from his donation land claim to Eugene Lodge #11 for the cemetery site, on partial credit, and with the stipulation that he be given a family plot. His land was also the site of the first school in Eugene — the “Point of the Hills” school, run by Sarah Ann Moore in the early 1850s. McMurry died two years before the cemetery land note was paid in full to his estate.

Personal tools