Ira Campbell House

From Lane Co Oregon

The Campbell House was built in 1892 by gold miner and timber owner, John Cogswell for his daughter Idaho on 252 Pearl Street in Eugene. It is one of the earliest and largest houses built in the East Skinner Butte Historic District.

John's parents were pioneer Eugene residents Ann and Martin Gay.

Idaho married Nicholas Frazer, and their daughter became a prominent doctor in town, (Dr. Eva Frazer Johnson). Shortly after Eva was born, Nicholas passed away and Idaho remarried in 1897 to Ira Campbell, co-owner and editor of the Daily Eugene Guard newspaper.

Idaho was a charter member of the Eugene Fortnightly Club (which helped raise funds for Eugene's first library) as well as several other clubs.

Ira and Idaho's children (Cogswell, Celeste and Jackson) played significant roles in the development of Eugene.

Personal tools