Blogs and Wikis
From Sl Wiki
Useful or Interesting Blogs
- Aleister Kronos's own blog at slambling (Aleister's master is the owner of this Wiki. The blog is strong on pictures - if otherwise a bit light on content - and that's Aleister's master talking! Still... he does obtain the odd scoop that's worth looking out for. Kzero don't get everthing first!
- Team Mascot's blog at slmascot (Team Mascot is a pal of Aleister Kronos, and is another avatar in Second Life. His blog is a mix of news, views and ramblings about Second Life as well as recording some of the more interesting places he has visited)
- KZero (a "branding, advertising and digital marketing consultancy") at: Kzero. A really useful site for tracking new companies into SL, and general "Do's" and "Don'ts" for engagement in SL.
- Elizabeth Rockwood's blog at Binary Footprint is geared toward the use and role of libraries, learning and training in Second Life.
- The main Linden Labs blog keeps residents abreast of announcements, problems and resolutions in Second Life.
- 3PointD Blog "reports on emerging 3D connectivity — a phenomenon sometimes called the metaverse — in all its manifestations. From virtual worlds like Second Life to applications like Google Earth, from cool mapping hacks that link up real-world locations to new ways of creating virtual ones, from concepts like folksonomy to the culture of online worlds."
- The Daily Graze, blog from Electric Sheep Company, one of the leading in-world developers in SL.
- Eightbar is an excellent and informative blog written by "a group of techie/creative people working in and around IBM’s Hursley Park Lab in the UK." NOTE: You will probably need to use Firefox to access this, as it is not happy with Internet Explorer.
- Virtual Architect is a blog that looks at various aspects of the architecture of buildings in SL.
- Second Life Insider is a blog that discusses all aspects of SL.
Useful or Interesting Wikis
- New LSL Wiki Portal
- Simteach wiki: "a place for university instructional designers, faculty and administrators to find information and to share their own experiences designing, teaching and administering classes in immersive environments." This is a rich resource for both Second Life and the wider field of Metaverses.
- Linden Scripting Language Wiki: probably the best resource at the moment for learning LSL, the scripting language.
- "How to start a Wiki" wiki - good resource for selecting and implementing wikis. It gives a comprehensive overview of the available options, including free wikis. Incidentally, I chose EditThis.info because it uses the same software as Wikipedia, already hosts a number of other wikis and offers "Unlimited pages and users. Basic account includes google map support, math markup (although this feature is not currently in a working state), wiki spam protection, 25MB of disk space, and RSS feeds." Another one that looked interesting is NETCipia; which bills itself as "a blog and a wiki in the same place". It looks cool, but lacks a stable base - and an inital trial was not encouraging as there were many syntax errors.
- 3Pedia wiki, related to 3PointD Blog, "is intended to be an editable encyclopedia whose articles describe technologies and applications that connect people in space, whether that space be real or virtual, as well as related subjects."
- Metaverse Roadmap Input Wiki is aimed at collecting news and views on the the future for 3D-enabled internet.