Move on December 31, 2010
IRC and Do you see your messages
Do you have an IRC client? I have some private issues I need to discuss with you...that I would think would best be talked about there. Let me know if you are at least getting these messages, you appear for some reason unable to answer the rest of your clutter above. Henry 22:51, 22 July 2007 (EDT)
- Email is best (not for general feedback) 
Ah, first I'd better apologize for some of my more demanding brethern. I'm grateful to have a free MediaWiki host. I've been with you for a long time, although my first wiki here ran into a dead end -- I burned out after extensive site configuration and that was that. Perhaps I'll come back to it someday.
Now, I've started a new effort and since it will support my business, I guess I'll work harder.
One reason that I insist on MediaWiki hosting is that I'm accustomed to the engine and I choke on learning to work an entirely different one -- besides, I don't think there's any tool that equals MW. But the other side of this is that I really do want all the latest features. They keep me productive.
I realize you have MW upgrade at the top of your ToDo list and perhaps I'm pushing too hard to say anything more. Forgive me if I simply add my voice to the hue and cry.
ANY REASON YOU THINK, THAT I HAD IP EDITS BLOCKED? MAYBE.......WELL? WHY? Henry 19:54, 19 August 2007 (EDT)
Looks like I am going to rollback you again, I tell you, I do not want IP's editing here nor people creating accounts. Haven't you noticed nobody cares about this? It's only the spammers who are here. Stop bringing them back. Henry 11:32, 23 August 2007 (EDT)
- Please don't turn this off for today. I am adding a captcha to the user creation page.
- Added. This should at least make it hard for spammers to add accounts, and slow down their progress. I will try to integrate it with page editing to that if there is http in the page, it will force a captcha check. This will be much more effective then the current spam words blacklist.
- Please don't turn this off for today. I am adding a captcha to the user creation page.
Thank you so very much, Rob. I was getting frustrated because you haven't been doing much to update editthis, and haven't been responding to your messages that fast. When do you think the new editthis will be finished? I probably should not have removed the "read pages" area but the IP's are so frustrating - I decided I just had too to help the stiuation. Thanks for all your work on this - it should solve our spam problems. :) Henry 15:25, 23 August 2007 (EDT)
To your wiki could you add a contribs button on the side of talk so on the RC page you will see Gabriella (Talk|Contribs) so it looks more like Wikipedia? Also, protection level so we can semiprotect and such. Thank you. (and if you want another feat. with scribblewiki doesn't have, add that people can change their username :))--Gabriella 15:38, 23 August 2007 (EDT)
Can you please look at my userpage for my question. It concerns me being blocked as a spammer? (i think) but if so, then how would it affect my admin account for my own wiki? Onicoe 18:33, 23 August 2007 (EDT)
- sorry, i just noticed the information posted about adding the captcha. it's awfully inconvienent when editing lots of new pages on a wiki and including urls... this still doesn't solve the question of my onicoe account being marked as a link spammer for a certain word. the question i tried posting in the village pump and it wouldn't allow me to. i don't want to sound ungrateful. i'm very happy that editthis.info exists. i'm just confused right now with what's going on. Onicoe 18:43, 23 August 2007 (EDT)
- Your account wasn't marked. It just blocked what you wrote. I am taking out spam word blocking now since it is no longer necessary (and had too many false alarms and missed spam postings). What was happening is the same thing that happens to most wikis on the internet, they get attacked by link spammers. Hopefully the captcha prevents that. The only time it comes up is if you try to save a page with an external link in it. This could be tedious if you are trying to post a lot of pages with external links, but it is is only a minor inconvenience compared to what a link spammer would have to go through.
- I agree. thankyou for the information. 126.96.36.199 11:46, 24 August 2007 (EDT)
Sorry for the inconvinience... But I have a non-english wiki, and desperately need the problem of foreign symbols to be solved! The page is fine until the "are you a bot?" window shows up. After putting the two words and clicking, the text of my page come back all broken!!! HELP! Marcelpace 17:47, 26 March 2008 (EST)
How-to add pub
Hi, I'm creating a very utopic (and realistic) mediawiki project, but I'm starting with a wiki already installed by my boyfriend (he has his own server), so that I'm familiar with xhtml, css and wiki syntax, but not with PHP, mySQL and server administration. I'd like to be able to work on this wiki till the end of my life, and to make it grow like wikipedia, but this kind of dream needs money. I would like to know how did you add pub to your website, so that I could eventually use pub (not necessarily Google Ads, but maybe so) to help my website grow.
Thank you very much, Marie-Eve 188.8.131.52 10:59, 5 September 2007
- I just created something people wanted and they came. It was actually more of an accidental surprise. Don't bother with google ads, they aren't worth it unless you are selling something (speaking from experience). "If you build it, they will come."
- If you want something to grow, just don't put any unnecessary restrictions on it and give people something valuable to go to. My favorite wiki I created was choose your own adventure. I created some starter stories and it was enough to gain interest, now it grows without me looking at it.
- Good luck in your adventure .. --RobKohr 19:51, 17 September 2007 (EDT)
I can't log in
I can't log in at my Norwegian speaking RP-wiki "NN pÃ�ï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ã�Â¯Ã�Â¿Ã�Â½Ã�ï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ã�ï¿½Ã�Â¥ Norsk", and I've been told that you can help me. I founded the wiki, and I administrate the "admin"-account there, but I can't login anymore (for some reason). It would be fine if you changed the password back to "admin". My e-mail adress is email@example.com. Erik 09:35, 7 November 2007 (EST)
On my Avatar wiki I have been having problems finalizing pages as everytime I try the following message appears:
A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was: (SQL query hidden) from within function "Revision::insertOn". MySQL returned error "1062: Duplicate entry '1625' for key 1 (localhost)".
Can you help me please - xanadu1 9:43 18th December 2007
Is anyone even working on the new EditThis? Will it ever be finished? The old EditThis is very outdated and seems to be in decline. In addition, there appear to be many users who require aid and are recieving none (see comments above). Many of the administrators here are also relatively impotent when it comes to administrating wiki sites. Almost all wikis begun here are abandoned within the first few days and no one ever looks at nominations or votes for wiki of the month. I am not sure as to how long EditThis can survive as a high-quality website.
Time Out question
Sort of a double post. How long are the time outs set for on editthis? I would like to be able to warn our users.
Also notice for the first time I am having issues trying to stay connected to editthis today. Thanks Rob --Rcollman 15:19, 3 January 2008 (EST)
Rob, please update your wiki to atleast Mediawiki version 1.10 since there has been many advances since and also bug-fixes and even though editthis is popular, it is also one of the only wiki to run an old version of MediaWiki...--Cometstyles 05:33, 10 February 2008 (EST)
- Yes we need an udate so parameter fields can be used in templates. Most decent wiki hosts have that. Hunterj|My talk 06:46, 17 May 2008 (EDT)
- That's not going to happen, we've asked him for probably 6 months now, he hasn't done it. Probably, find another wiki host. Henry 18:57, 21 May 2008 (PDT)
- And why is my sig not working? I have to do it manually! Elassint, 7/3/08 talk
I'm having trouble accessing my wiki, zolaville. When I try to go to it, a message is displayed saying it exists, but hasn't been transfered to the new server yet. However, when I do try to transfer it, it doesn't transfer, although the address changes to , the message disappears, and my browser lists the page as "done".
Could you either fix this problem (if it's not just my problem) or transfer my wiki to the new server? Thanks
- This should be workin gnow.
Hello. Are you going to make editthis a pay service? I don't use editthis any more. Nighthawk 14:59, 24 July 2008 (PDT)
- In the end... no. I thought it through, discussed with some users, and decided it was not best for the service. Some features and addons may be purchased, but the core will remain free. -Rob
A vandal edited Template:Current WOTM (which is trancluded onto the Main Page). The vandlaism was not reverted for over a month (I have just reverted now). I suggest you protect Template:Current WOTM to stop this happening in future. Anonymous101 07:52, 11 August 2008 (PDT)
- If he hasn't already done this, I will protect it. Henry 17:16, 22 August 2008 (PDT)
Rob, you there?
Are you still here... Henry 17:16, 22 August 2008 (PDT)
The user wael just took over My wiki code wiki. Djf2014 12:01, 23 August 2008 (PDT)
Hi Rob, I noticed we don't have MediaWiki Edittools on EditThis.info, could you create MediaWiki:Edittools, that way it will improve the site, and also on my Lombaxpedia site, I can't upload Images, it says "Image uploading has been turned off on EditThis.info", do you know what that is?. One last thing, can you rename my Lombaxpedia to Lombaxpedia, the Ratchet & Clank wiki, thanks for all your help. KrazyKat 19:17, 29 August 2008 (PDT)
Yes, that ad is extremely annoying. It jumps the page upward to force you to look at it. --184.108.40.206 19:04, 6 September 2008 (PDT)
- This might have been when I was trying out Adbrite. They are gone now, and good riddance. --RobKohr 08:54, 7 January 2009 (PST)
I suggest you upgrade, you are only on MW 1.5. 220.127.116.11 15:59, 30 September 2008 (PDT)
- I agree. Avlok
- This wiki is dead and the owner is not bothered, I suggest you find another wiki-host ,... Cometstyles 18:07, 13 July 2009 (PDT)
What with the adbrite banners? Adbrite is full of adware and my SpywareBlaster blocks it.--Jtaylor1 21:58, 16 October 2008 (PDT)
- Just tried them out... and they were awful for revenue. Sorry for any problems they caused, and they are gone! --RobKohr 08:38, 7 January 2009 (PST)
help, the admins of my lego network wiki have gone inactive, and i would like to adopt the wiki. the wiki link is at the village pump. my user name there: Simon Simon 18:57, 19 April 2009 (PDT)Simon
Why is our wikis print mode/Netscape mode?
Tell me. Why is our wikis messed up? It's looks like it's in Netscape/Print Page Mode. You should have left a reminder in your blog.--Jtaylor1 19:39, 2 June 2009 (PDT)