Category:Daily Eugene Guard (1908)

From Lane Co Oregon


ENGINE ON MOHAWK BRANCH TURNS TURTLE Yesterday evening about 5 o'clock a locomotive on its way to Wendling on the Mohawk branch left the rails from some unknown cause and running along the ties and tearing up the track for a distance of nearly 100 feet. It turned turtle. No one was seriously hurt, although Fireman McCullough suffered severe cuts on his right hand. Both the engineer and fireman jumped before the locomotive turned over. The locomotive whose number is 2196, was pulling a caboose and was on the way to Wendling after a number of cars of lumber. As it reached a point near Yarnell Station, something went wrong with the result as stated. The Eugene-Wendling, local passenger train was at the Wendling end of the line at the time of the wrecks and it was unable to make its run to this city. An extra train was sent up from Albany to transfer the passengers for this city and Springfield. A crew of men was put to work this morning to repair the track and right the engine, but up to a late hour this afternoon the train had not been able to pass the wreck.


THE SPRINGFIELD MATCH FACTORY'S FIRST SHIPMENT The Oregon Match Company is now running full blast, and yesterday shipped their first consignment to Portland, which consisted of fifty cases. Manager Duffie informs us that they have orders for three hundred more cases, and are working from eight to ten people steadily.


S. P. BRIDGE NEAR COBURG COMPLETED The southern Pacific bridge across the McKenzie river near Coburg has been entirely completed and the crew and outfit were in Eugene today on the way to Portland. The Eugene Coburg train brought the work cars and other paraphernalia over to the main line and the first freight train going north took them on toward Portland. The bridge is a splendid structure and replaced an old wooden one that did service for many years. When the recent financial flurry came on the company ordered work on the bridge stopped, along with the curtailment of a great deal of other work, but in a week or two afterward the crew was ordered back to finish the bridge, as it was very near completion.


THE DEATH OF PIONEER, ALEXANDER SEAVY Alexander Seavy, a Lane county pioneer, died at the home of his daughter in Eugene, last evening at the age of 83 years, 9 months and 29 days. The funeral will be held at the residence of J. W. Seavy at the corner of West sixth and Lincoln streets, Saturday afternoon at 1 O'clock, with interment in the Masonic cemetery. Mr. Seavy was born at Rockland Maine, April 1, 1824. In early manhood he followed the occupation of a seaman, and taking passage on a sailing vessel at Aberdeen, Scotland, in 1849 he came around Cape Horn to San Francisco. From there he went to the mines in Trinidad County California, and from there came to Oregon and started a store at Althouse, then a prosperous mining camp in Josephine county. He was successful in this venture, but sold out in 1855 and came to Lane county, taking up 160 acres of land several miles northeast of Eugene and there engaged in stock raising. He added to his holdings till at the present time the farm owned by him amounts to 1100 acres. He started to raise hops in 1883 and ever since then the Seavy hop yards have been famous all over the upper Valley. Through his marriage to Sarah A. Blachley, the following children were born to Mr. Seavy: William C., Thomas E., J. W., J. H. and J. A. who are farmers of Lane county; Anna, wife of E. T. Bushnell; Clara, widow of the late Jasper Wilkins, and Sophronia, deceased.


SAW MILL OWNER UNDER ARREST FOR SELLING CIGARS TO A MINOR John Brookmyer, owner of a sawmill at Spores Station, on the Wendling branch of the Southern Pacific railway, was notified by constable Plank today to appear before Justice of the Peace Bryson in this city to answer to the charge of selling tobacco to a minor. The boy to whom it is alleged that Brookmyer sold the tobacco is Archie Hill, the 15 year-old son of Charles Hill, residing in the vicinity of Spores. Brookmyer conducts a store in connection with his sawmill, and it appears that the Hill boy has bought a large number of cigars there and had them charged to his father's account. His father swore to the complaint against Brookmyer, who has promised to be down on the evening train. It is the policy of the Juvenile officers to enforce the law against selling tobacco to minors, and other arrests way soon follow.


STAFFORD PAYS TAXES FIRST AS USUAL The tax rolls were open for payment of 1907 taxes this morning, and as usual J. I. Stafford, of Mohawk, secured receipt No. I. The amount of his taxes this year was $128.04. George Yarnell, formerly of the Mohawk valley, but now residing at Brickelton Wash, was the second to pay his taxes. The rush at the Sheriff's office was not great today for the reason that the notices sent out by the sheriff telling each taxpayer the amount of his taxes, have not all been received.


SERIOUS RUNAWAY ACCIDENT OCCURS THIS MORNING L. S. Hill, logging superintendent for the Booth Kelly Lumber Co., and Fred Brockman, foreman of the Foss logging camp on the upper Willamette River, were the victims of a serious runaway accident this morning. They started out from Eugene in a buggy for the Foss camp, leading, Brockman's saddle horse behind. As they reached Judkins Point, between Eugene and Springfield, a freight train came along and frightened the saddle horse, which became unmanageable, and surmounted an embankment Jumped in between the two horses hitched to the buggy. This caused the other two horses to run, and the occupants were thrown forcibly to the ground and dragged a considerable distance. Hill's right leg was broken just above the ankle and Brockman was badly bruised and scratched, but his injuries were not serious. A telephone message was sent to the Booth Kelly office immediately after the accident, and George H. Kelly, and H. A. Dunbar secured a cab and drove to the scene of the runaway. They brought the injured men to town and Mr. Hill was placed in the Eugene Hospital. Brockman was taken to his home. One of Hill's horses hitched to the buggy was badly hurt by being cut with barbed wire, the team having run into a fence along the roadside. The animal received terrible cuts on one side of its body, and it is thought that its usefulness is ruined.


MARCOLA HOTEL DESTROYED BY FIRE TODAY Marcola, March 2.- The Marcola Hotel was destroyed by fire this morning between 12 and 1 O'clock. The building is a total loss and all the contents except a piano and two or three chairs were burned. The origin of the fire is a mystery. It caught in a room that had not been used for some time, and as no one had been in that room as far as known during, the day or evening, it is thought that the fire might have been of incendiary origin. The building was erected last summer by C. Cole, founder of the town of Marcola, at a cost of about $4000. It was a three story structure and contained 20 rooms besides the office, parlor, dining rooms, kitchen, etc. The furniture was owned by B. A. Seelye and was leased by Monte Miller, who had been conducting the hotel only about two an a half months. The building was well furnished, the loss on the furniture being about $2500.

NARROW ESCAPE The fire occurred at a time when everybody in the hotel was asleep, and there were narrow escapes for some of the guests. Many of them got out of the building with their clothing, but some had no time to pick up any of their belongings, and were compelled to go out into the cold night air with nothing but their night clothes on. Some of the guests lost all of their belongings. Jack Littell lost $150 in cash and clothing; L. T. Brown lost $20 in cash and much clothing; Dick Cleveland lost $30 in cash, his pension papers and clothing, and the losses of others were perhaps as great. The loss to the Landlord's personal effects was $500. The building and contents were partially insured, but the amount of insurance held is not learned today. FORMED BUCKET BRIGADE The town of Marcola is without fire protection and there was no means of staying the flames except with buckets of water. A, bucket brigade was formed by the citizens, and by heroic efforts they succeeded in saving the business district from destruction. The livery stable on one side of the hotel caught fire several times, but by prompt action the flames were extinguished. The Mohawk restaurant, on the other side, also had a narrow escape. Had there been any wind at all the flames could not have been confined to the hotel building, and the whole town might have burned. THE DAILY EUGENE GUARD 3-5-1908

FALSE ROBBERY AT MARCOLA Constable Plank was called to Marcola yesterday by a

telephone message saying that the three men were seen in William Amos' store there the night before, carrying away the goods in the store. The constable went up on the afternoon train and when he got there he found that the doors of the store which had been nailed up by him some time previously, the store having been closed by attachment proceedings, had not been molested, and none of the goods were gone. Five different men swore that they saw these men in the store, and could not believe that nothing had happened. The constable made an investigation and found that three men were engaged during the night moving some things out of a building adjoining and placed them on the back porch of the store to haul them away. These five men saw them through the glass doors of both the front and rear of the store, and it appeared very much as if the men were inside. Constable Plank went to Marcola again this afternoon to arrange for the sale of the attached goods.


WOMAN DRUMMER INJURED IN RUNAWAY NEAR COBURG Mrs. E. M. Bower, a traveling saleswoman from Portland was severely, but not seriously injured in a runaway near Coburg Saturday. She was being driven in a buggy from Eugene to that town by George Clark, on of the Bangs Delivery Company's drivers. As the buggy crossed the railroad track this side of Coburg, the bolt came out of one of the single trees, which struck one of the horses on their heels and both began to kick and run. Clark ran the team up an embankment, turning the buggy over and precipitating the occupants to the ground. Mrs. Bowers lower limbs were badly scratched and bruised, but Clark escaped without injury. He held on to the reins and the horses did not get away. Mrs. Bowers was confined to her room at the Hotel Smeede all day Sunday on account of her injuries.


J. C. Goodale Dies In California Welby Stevens this afternoon received a message from Sawtelle California, stating that his father-in-law, J. O. Goodale, formerly of Coburg, had died there. He was well known to a great many Lane county people, having conducted a sawmill at Coburg for many years. He was the father of Mrs. Welby Stevens, J. C. Jr., Charles and William "Goodale.

THE DAILY EUGENE GUARD 4-2-1908 EDNA YARNELL DROWNED The body of Miss Edna Yarnell, who was drowned in the mill race yesterday afternoon was recovered at 10:10 - o'clock last night, after having been in the water nearly 6 hours. A large crowd of University students and townspeople searched until they found the body a hundred feet down stream from where the canoe had been overturned. Miss. Yarnell and Miss. Vesta Davis started out in the middle of the afternoon for a canoe ride up the mill race. They went to the head of the race at Judkins Point. In attempting to turn around to come back the swift current caught the canoe and upset it. Miss Davis, being able to swim, reached the shore quite easily, She had hold of Miss Yarnell 'by the foot for awhile, but was unable to keep her hold, and the latter sank to the bottom.

The unfortunate girl was born on her fathers farm in the Mohawk valley and was raised there. She was aged 19 years on the 30th day of last September. She was a beautiful girl, and had many friends. The remains will be interred at the I. O. O. F. cemetery.


CHILD BURNED TO DEATH AT MABEL The two year old daughter of Rev. and Mrs. Kinman, of Mabel, on the Mohawk, was burned to death at the family home Tuesday. Mrs Kinman was at the barn milking a cow, her husband being away from home. When she returned to the house she was grief stricken to find the little girl dead, her dress having caught fire in some manner. All of her clothing was burned off and her little body was burned to a crisp. Mrs. Kinman ran screaming from the house and neighbors came to learn the trouble. It was thought that the child's clothing caught fire from the kitchen stove, or that the child may have been playing with matches, and ignited them. The father of the child was sent for and he arrived some hours after the tragedy.


COBURG MAN SENT TO INSANE ASYLUM John McKittrie, of Coburg, was examined as to his sanity this afternoon and committed to the asylum at Salem. He is aged 76 years and can neither read nor write. He imagines that visions come to him and forecast coming events. This morning at Coburg he imagined that he was told where a lot of money was hidden under a barn, and had a number of citizens worked up over the matter until they discovered that his mind was affected. Drs. Wall and Prentice were the examining physicians.


CRAZY JAPANESE AT LARGE WITH AN AXE One of the Japanese laborers at work on the Southern Pacific depot yard improvements became violently insane this forenoon about 11:30 o'clock, and Picked up an axe on the ground, made for several of his fellow workmen, and would have perhaps killed one or two of them hid not the others disarmed him before he could reach those he started after. After being disarmed, the fellow ran down the track and out through the southwestern part of town. When last heard of he was out beyond College Hill, and it is said he stopped at the residence of E. Wood on West Eighth street and secured another axe.

Several of his fellow workmen are after him and may catch him before he injures any one or himself. This Jap has been in a bad condition mentally for some time past, and several times his companions have had to take pistols and knives away from him. Dr. W. Kuykendall examined him not long ago and pronounced him insane, but no action was taken in the case. Officers are assisting in the attempt to capture the lunatic.


FIRST SAWLOGS SHIPPED OUT OF MOHAWK VALLEY C. Arnel, one of the substantial citizens of the Mohawk valley, is in the city from Marcola today. He states that the sawlogs now being shipped from Marcola to the Eugene Lumber Company's mill in this city are the first ever shipped out of that valley, although the lumber industry has flourished there for several years, many mills having been established there lately. The logs came from Mr. Arnel's place just above Marcola, and the company has contracted for enough from him to make three carloads a day, which is the average shipment for the next three weeks.


WIFE OF COBURG GLASS FACTORY MAN SAYS HUSBAND CURSED AND STRUCK HER Mrs. Alma Marie Mathisen has begun suit against Gustave Martinus Mathisen for divorce. Mathisen is one of the builders of the glass factory at Coburg, which promises to develop into an important industry there, but which has been closed down for some time past. Mrs. Mathisen, in her complaint filed last evening, says they were married in Christiania Norway, on September 10, 1898. She alleges cruel and inhuman treatment, as grounds for a legal separation, stating that her husband has at various times called her vile and indecent names, has heaped indignities upon her, and on one occasion after their marriage, he struck her. She also says he is a habitual drunkard, and spends all his earnings for liquor. She alleges that in June 1908, her husband left without cause or provocation and has since continued to live separate from her. F. M. DeNeffe is attorney for the plaintiffs


NARROW ESCAPE FOR SAWMILL AT SAGINAW A big fire raged in the woods near the Booth Kelly sawmill five miles from Saginaw all day Sunday, and for a time the mill was in great danger, but the company rushed a large force of men up there and by hard work succeeded in keeping the flames from the plant and in checking them so that all danger has now

apparently passed. The fire started quite a distance from the mill and at first it was thought there was no danger at all, but the breeze fanned the flames and they soon spread beyond control. Word was sent down to Saginaw and thirty-five or forty men were sent up to fight the flames. They worked hard till late last night and were finally successful in staying the progress of the fire, which was in a logged-off tract of land and no green timber was damaged.


FISCHER BROTHERS MILL WILL OPENED A report states that Fischers Brothers sawmill up the Mohawk will be started in the early part of September. The foundation for it is based upon the statement of laboring men, who say they have jobs in the mill. The rumor could not be confirmed today. THE DAILY EUGENE GUARD 9-10-1908

ELECTRICAL STORM PLAYS HAVOC AT SAWMILL The territory in and around Saginaw was subjected to the most destructive electrical storm remembered by the oldest inhabitant last Sunday. The bolts of lightening played havoc with the telephone lines, trees and buildings. Up Lynx Hollow every telephone was knocked out of commission, and in many cases torn from the walls and destroyed. The insulated wires melted and ran out. The first place to receive damage from the storm was the Saginaw boarding house. Fortunately this was not occupied at the time or most disastrous results might have happened, possibly loss of life. A bolt of lightning struck the side of the roof, making a small hole, going completely through the structure, demolishing the interior and making a huge hole at least ten feet in diameter in the side of the building. The telephone was wrecked, being torn from the wall, and everything metallic melted beyond recognition. It is at this place, it is thought, the lightning followed the wires on its course of ruin. The next place visited was that of J. F. Neet, where the "juice" tore off a couple of boards from the house, burning out the phone, and jumped to the local telegraph wires leading to the home of J. J. Queen. Here it followed the wires across the woodwork, tearing off several boards. Two poles were shattered, and thus the lightning went on its course up Lynx Hollow, hurling great trees to the ground in splinters and destroying telephones. Other houses were struck, but with little damage. The lightning was accompanied with reports like that of a pistol, and a number of the inhabitants were badly frightened. Ed Queen had a telegraph instrument which was pretty well melted as a result of the electrical visit. This was without doubt the worst storm that section ever had, and none are hankering for another such experience.



C. Arnel, a prominent citizen of Marcola, having lived there many years before anyone thought of building a town there, was in the city today on business. To a Guard reporter this morning he stated that the men in charge of the S. P. Company's sawmills at Marcola have received orders to clean off the docks of lumber, which Mr. Arnel thinks signifies that the company intends to start up the mills again in the near future, ordering the docks cleaned to make room for new lumber. Large shipments of railroad ties, which have been on hand since the mills closed last winter are being made every day. The only mill in the vicinity of Marcola that is running now is that of the Sunset Lumber Company, which is operating with a full crew, but the prospects are that a number of others will resume soon.


MOHAWK LUMBER COMPANY'S MILL AT DONNA SOLD J. S. Magladry and John F. Kelly have sold the sawmill of the Mohawk Lumber Co. to David and H. C. Auld, of Atcheson Kansas, who will take immediate possession. Included in the sale are 3000 acres of land, all the lumber on hand and the logging machinery. There are approximately 200,000,000 feet of growing timber on the land that has changed ownership. The consideration is not given out for publication, but it is said to be in the neighborhood of $175,000 This mill was built about two and a half years ago by Messrs. Magladry and Kelly and has capacity of 35,000 feet of lumber per day. It is a modern plant in every respect, one of the best in the county.

THE DAILY EUGENE GUARD 10-10-1908 BOOTH KELLY RECEIVES FINE LOGGING ENGINE A fine new logging engine for the Booth Kelly Lumber Co. arrived from the Baldwin locomotive works this morning and will be taken to the company's new logging railway above Wendling as soon as it can be fitted up for operation under its own steam. The engine is as large or perhaps larger than the S. P. locomotive that runs on the Wendling branch and has the appearance of being very powerful. It is a wood-burner. The Baldwin Co. sent a man along with the engine to start it running. The new railway being built by the company will be finished before the winter rains set in. About four miles have been completed. The road is as substantial as the S. P. Co. branch and has the same sized rails.


HARRISBURG MAN LOST IN MOUNTAINS Postmaster, C. L. Morris, had a thrilling experience in the Cascade mountains Sunday and Monday of this week. He and Dr. W. H. Dale, as a respite from the grind of daily business, went to the mountains on a hunting expedition last Saturday.

Arriving at headquarters, they fixes camp and went on a stroll for game, but without success. Next morning bright and early they had breakfast and started for a hunt, Mr. Morris to travel on the east side of the summit and the Doctor on the other side. They agreed that they would return to camp about noon for dinner. The doctor arrived in on schedule time, but Mr. Morris failed to put in an appearance. Dr. Dale fired signal shots at intervals and searched the hills for some distance around without success. It was now growing late and he feared that Mr. Morris was lost or the victim of an accident, therefore he came out to the valley and gave the alarm. In crossing the summit Mr. Morris was overtaken by a drenching rain and a dense fog, which rendered it impossible for him to keep his bearings; hence he was lost. He traveled until 4 o'clock when he found himself at the foot of Foggy peak, exhausted, "all in", numbed with cold, drenched by the rain, and with but one match with which to start a fire. He succeeded in getting a fire but had the most miserable night of his life. When morning came he started out and luckily found a trail which led him to Courtney Or. , which he followed, striking the valley at Mr. Warmoth's place, and from there he telephoned his family. Many searchers were on the trail before he got out.

BOOTH KELLY SELLS MACHINERY IN HARRISBURG MILL The Booth Kelly Lumber Company sold all the machinery in their sawmill here, excepting the water wheels, to Eli Perkins and, son, Thursday. They will remove it to Coyote Creek, where they are putting in a sawmill plant.


Dr. Atwood And Son Arrested And in Jail

IN CUSTODY AT PORTLAND CHARGED WITH MALPRACTICE IN DEATH OF EUGENE GIRL Drs. C. H. T. Atwood and C. H. Atwood, father and son, who have offices in the Allsky building, and who operate a private hospital at Fremont station, on the Mount Scott car line, were arrested last night about 6 O'clock in their hospital, by deputy Sheriffs Bulger and Kelly on a warrant sworn out yesterday afternoon by assistant District Attorney Fitzgerald before justice of the Peace Olson, which charges them indirectly with being instrumental in causing the death of Pearl Lamb, a young woman from Eugene Oregon, who died at the Atwood hospital on Friday night following the results of malpractice. The accused Doctors were taken to the county jail, where they were kept in default of $1000 cash bail, says today's Oregonian. The arrest of Drs. Atwood was made a little earlier thin had been anticipated owing to information which reached District Attorney Fitzgerald to the effect that one of the defendants was preparing to leave for Eugene for the purpose of destroying evidence obtained against them there. The warrant in this case does not charge the defendants with manslaughter, but charges "indecent and immoral acts which openly outrage public decency and are injurious to public morals".

The claim made by the Atwoods to coroner Norden when the investigation in the case was first begun that the malpractice was not effected by them, but by a Eugene physician, is discredited by the prosecution, which say there is evidence showing that the malpractice was actually done by the Atwoods, and that the statement signed by the girl before she died was made to protect the Atwoods. "It will be a serious menace to the dishonorable physicians of this community if we secure a conviction on this charge", said Deputy District Attorney Fitzgerald last night. " It will mean that we can proceed against many who otherwise we might have to pass by without hope of reaching. If the Atwoods are convicted it will curtail a great deal of the malpractice now being carried on in this city." The attitude of the prisoners was one of composure last night at the county jail. " We believe that some enemy his inspired this attack upon us, said the elder Atwood. " If the prosecuting officers of this county are really looking for the malpractitioner of this community they might have looked further than us.. During the past month we have refused to take about 50 cases of this character, which we know have been handled by others in this city. If we were in this line of work, why should we have refused to do the work?"


PIONEER WOMAN PASSES AWAY SUDDENLY Mrs. A. O. McGee, an early pioneer of Oregon, died suddenly at her home near Donna Station, on the Mohawk, some time last night. She had been suffering from paralysis for the past two years and a half and was bedfast all the time, but the day before she died she was in as good of health as usual. She was found dead in bed this morning when the family arose. Mrs McGee was born in Missouri about 72 years ago and came to Oregon across the plains in the early fifties. She first settled in Marion county, then came to Lane county, settling near Springfield. She has lived in the Mohawk for the past 35 years. She leaves three children, J. R. McGee, at home, Mrs. Luella Yarnell of Salem, and Mrs. L. W. Walter of Philomath. The funeral will be held at the family home on the Mohawk Wednesday at ten a. m. and the remains will be interred in the Gager cemetery near Natron.


FATAL HUNTING ACCIDENT NEAR COBURG SATURDAY Saturday evening about 5 O'clock, Lawrence Melvin Bond, son of a merchant of Coburg, aged 14 years, was shot and instantly killed by Lee Smith, a youth of about the same age, as they were out goose hunting. The killing was accidental, and "Coroner Gordon, who went to 'Coburg to investigate the matter, deemed it unnecessary to hold an inquest.

Young Bond and Smith were in company with George Smith, father of Lee, George Drury and Professor Maxwell. They were all along the McKenzie river bottom, a mile west of the railroad bridge. The boys were ahead of the others and suddenly noticed a flock of geese. They crawled up to within shooting distance of the geese and both fired. Bond fired a second shot and suddenly arose, just in time to receive the full charge of shot from young Smith's gun as he, to fired a second shot. The shot entered the back of the head and death resulted two hours afterward. Young Bond was a bright lad and was liked by all who knew him. He was a pupil in the eighth grade at Coburg. Young Smith naturally feels very badly over the accident. The funeral was held today and the body was interred in the Coburg I. O. O. F. cemetery.


MORE ACTIVITY PROMISED BOOTH KELLY SAWMILL George H. Kelly, manager of the Booth Kelly Lumber Co., informs us that the company's big mill at Wendling, will resume operations immediately after the first of January and will continue to operate steadily thereafter. The plant has been completely overhauled during the past few months and is now in excellent shape. New machinery has been installed and the mill is now more modern than ever before. The new logging railroad leading from Wendling up the Mohawk valley for five or six miles, has been completed and all that it needs to make it as good as any piece of railroad in the state is the ballasting. The road taps a splendid body of timber.

Logs from the tract will be hauled to the mills at Wendling, Springfield and Coburg. There is a general belief that the Southern Pacific's mills at Marcola will open again in the early spring. If they do, it will mean that financial conditions in this county will be better than new, although Eugene and Lane county never were effected to any extent by the recent panic.



MOHAWK LUMBER PLANTS ONE BY ONE STARTING UP AFTER LONG SHUTDOWN John Brookmayer, owner of the Brookmayer sawmill at Spores Siding, on the Wendling Branch, while in the city today, stated that the mill will resume operations immediately after the first of the new year, after a long shutdown. He says he has a large number of orders on hand and the prospects are that the plant will be kept in operation steadily from then on. He sats other mills on the Mohawk will also resume operations about the same time.

This category currently contains no pages or media.

Your Ad Here
Personal tools
Other sites